I've come to you today, to talk about challenges over CRTextAndTypography. In not as regular intervals as I liked to, I have been posting Typography Challenges for everyone to take part in. Unfortunately the responses have been less than … sufficient and decreasing over time. So here's me talking about challenges and trying to figure out how to bring them back to life. Preferably improved and better (There are questions at the end, please take the time to answer them )
Are you interested in challenges at all? The last one only had one entry and it has me thinking that you are not interested in challenges anyway. So here I am wondering if I should take the time and effort to find ideas for challenges, write a journal about it, set up the submission rules in the backroom and decline the masses of submissions to the group that don't read the rules and just submit "whatever" to a specific challenge folder.
Why you should take part in a challenge!
- The theme is something you have never considered to do before. It is always good to try new things.
- You will learn something from a challenge.
- Are you someone who works better with external ideas to be creative? This is your chance.
- Artist block? Maybe taking part in a challenge can help you with that.
- You get to see what others do with the same theme. Always a good way to open your mind.
- New to Typography? I make the challenges so that is easy for beginners to jump into the theme.
What's holding you back?
- Not enough time? I usually plan around two months for each challenge.
- Not enough reminders? I could improve on that, that is true.
- No incentives like Points or Premium Membership? There won't be any of that for taking part in a challenge, I do plan on contests in the future though.
- No feedback? As they are no contests, challenges will not provide a ranking. If you are looking for feedback on your work, I can do so in the future.
What do you think?
Here are some quesitons I have for you, that will help me decide whether to continue the series and how to make it more attractive.
- Are you interested in new challenges? I will not continue them, if nobody takes part.
- What did you like/not like about the previous challenges?
- What changes would you like to see in new challenges?