For inspiration you may want to take a look at the Paint Bucket Challenge folder and see what others users have submitted.
You can find the rules below
Welcome to the first challenge of this group! The goal of these is to spark your interested in typography and to breed some new typographers Of course, the challenges are open for all levels of experience. I will try to keep them simple in the rules and hope for creative results from the community.
The Paintbucket Challenge
The idea of this challenge is to create some fancy letters using only a template with a grid on it and the Paintbucket tool to fill the grid's shapes. I got this idea from betteo who hosted the original ALPHABET.CONTEST in 2009.
I thought it would be a great challenge to be part of CRTextAndTypography that doesn't require any big software or previous study of typography. A fun exercise to create some awesome deviations!
When it comes to filling this template with colors, of course legibility should be one element you have to pay attention to. Users should be able to tell what letter you created at first glance.
Try to think about color contrast and negative space when creating your letter! Maybe you want to add some serifs, too! The possibilites are pretty much endless and, I hope, so is the fun
What are you waiting for? Get started right now!
… Do read the rules tho, kthx
- Download the Template (It will be only the gird; transparent .PNG)
- Use ONLY the Paintbucket Tool to fill the shapes!
- You can use either only solid colors to fill the shapes with or, depending on your program, you can use patterns. (Photoshop allows the Paintbucket tool to be used with patterns f.e.)
- One letter per template.
- All glyphs allowed, except for ligatures. Foreign alphabets are welcome, but it would be best to mention that in the description.
- You can submit as many entries as you like, you have to submit them each to the group; additionally you can submit an "overview" design.
- Send a note to CRTextAndTypography titled "Paintbucket Challenge Entry" AND/OR submit it to the group's Paint Bucket Challenge folder. (If you don't submit yourself, I will request the deviation being submitted to the group)
Deadline: July 31st 2013.
What program you use to fill the shapes is entirely up to you. Photoshop, Gimp, MS Paint or deviantART muro are all available options.
Actually you could also print it out and color it traditionally, the digital way is mainly suggested due to reasons of time and simplicity. But if you want to do that I won't stop you
Let's get creative!